"My love for you is a journey. Starting at forever and ending at never." ~ Anonymous

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Today's Craft - Girls Beaded Socks

 Wednesday is usually Pinterest crafts but today I decided to share a personal craft with you.  

I can just feel your excitement - Drum roll please.....

Today I am featuring:

Photo taken by Laura Henry
Way back many years ago my grandma made me and my cousins, Allison and Tara, these beaded socks.  I'm not sure about the other girls but I loved mine.  I actually still have mine and despite the fact that I'm 32 I still wear them once in a blue moon.

This Christmas I was trying to be frugal with gifts, so I decided to whip up a few pairs as gifts for some of my little God-daughters.

I've even made a few pairs for some of my friends kids and some of my mommy friends too!
Photo taken by Laura Henry
 What do you need for this project?  I'm glad you asked.  You will need:
Photo taken by Laura Henry
  • girls bobby socks
  • tri-beads
  • crochet cotton thread
  • small crochet hook
I will have to look to see what size thread I used.  I know it was a bit thicker than I wanted but it was all the store had and it worked out just fine.  I also used a small crochet hook.  I think it was a size "D".  But I will confirm both of these later.

So how do you make these cute socks?
Photo taken by Laura Henry
  1.  First you need to thread the beads on the crochet cotton.  I would highly recommend putting more beads than you think you will need.  I used around 30 beads on size 3-5 year old socks and around 40 on size 10.5 - 3 shoe size socks.  A large eye blunt needle comes in very handy for this.
  2. Next attach your crochet cotton to sock by using a chain stitch.
  3. Chain 3, slide bead up into place and chain 3.
  4. Chain 1 into the sock between the ribs and continue step 3 until you get back to the beginning.
Tip - It is not necessary to stitch in every rib but you will want to try to space them as evenly as possible.
Photo taken by Laura Henry
For those of you interested - Yes I make these for $5 a pair (plus shipping if applicable).  I have many colors to choose from.  Just send me a message and I would be more than happy to whip you up a pair!

I wish these weren't so girly because my boys thought they were pretty cool too.  Of course they are to little to understand that these are only for girls. ha ha ha

No comments:

Post a Comment