"My love for you is a journey. Starting at forever and ending at never." ~ Anonymous

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Pinterest - Kool-Aid Lip Gloss

It's Pinterest day again! Yippee!!!  If you haven't checked this website out you should.  You can request your own invite but beware, it's addicting! 

Today's find is Kool-Aid lip gloss pinned from Meet the Dubiens.  It only has 2 ingredients and takes only around 10 minutes to make (not including cooling time).

Photo taken by Laura Henry

I found this tutorial before Christmas and decided it looked like something I wanted to try to make to give out as gifts to my family and friends.  You can visit Meet the Dubiens for instructions or see below.

Disclaimer - Try at your own risk.  May not be appropriate for all ages.

Photo taken by Laura Henry
Ingredients & things you will need:
  1. 1 container (13 oz) of petroleum jelly (Vaseline - I used the store brand)
  2. 1 pkg of Kool-Aid drink crystals
  3. Microwave safe container (I used a glass measuring cup)
  4. Lip gloss containers
  5. Full sheet label paper (or round labels)
  6. Computer/printer to create/print labels
  7. *Scissors or paper punch (1 inch or larger depending on the size of your containers)
*only if you cannot find the round labels pre-cut.

Photo taken by Laura Henry
Directions:
  1. Put 1 cup vaseline in a microwave safe bowl
  2. Heat the vaseline in the microwave at 30 second intervals until fully melted, stirring between each interval (this process took me around 4-5 mins).  It will be extremely HOT!  Make sure you wear gloves or oven mitts and make sure children are being supervised.
  3. Take bowl out of microwave (be careful it will be HOT!) and stir in Kool-Aid until completely dissolved and desired color is reached.
  4. If the mixture starts to solidify you can heat it again for another 30 seconds  *skip this step if the mixture is still liquid.
  5. Pour into your lip gloss containers and leave to solidify    Tip - make sure the mixture isn't too HOT for your containers, you wouldn't want them to melt.
  6. Repeat this whole process if making more flavors
  7. Print out labels on sticker paper - (Meet the Dubiens provides a template but I created my own using MS Word)
  8. Using either a 1 inch punch, or scissors, cut out the circle labels and attach to your lip gloss container
  9. Distribute to friends and family and Enjoy!
A few tips for those of you that want to try this project:
  1. Heat the vaseline to liquid form not till it's transparent.  If it gets too hot the Kool-Aid will not dissolve.  This was also the consensus on Meet the Dubiens, which I hadn't learned until I was writing this blog.  There was also a suggestion to melt the Vaseline on the stove top instead of the microwave. 
  2. I found my containers at Hobby Lobby in the bead area.  They are actually containers for holding beads.  I'm sure you can find these at any craft store.
  3. Since I made these in December I was able to set them outside to cool.  It only took around 15 minutes and they were ready.
  4. For the labels, I created mine in MS Word.  I bought full sheet sticker paper at Walmart and then used a scissors to cut them out.  I measured the size of my containers & made them the appropriate size (I think my containers were 1 1/2 inch in diameter)
  5. Do not try to eat or lick the lip gloss, it does not taste good.  It smells pretty good though & it feels great on.
The two flavors that I tried were cherry and black cherry.  The crystals didn't dissolve at all in the cherry batch but the vaseline had taken on the cherry scent.  The black cherry was my second batch.  I did not add the crystals right away and they dissolved much better.  I thought my Kool-Aid was old but after looking at the comments left on Meet the Dubiens I know it was because the vaseline was too hot.  I will definitely be making these again.  Thank you Jill Dubien for sharing your tutorial!


Photo taken by Laura Henry

I hope my friends and family are enjoying these, I know I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment