Today's tutorial is
Tied Fleece Blankie
Before I get started let me first say I had this post all wrote up & some how lost it.
I am NOT happy about that.
But this is a super easy project to do. Enjoy!
But this is a super easy project to do. Enjoy!
Supplies:
- Fleece - 2 coordinating fabrics (yardage is determined by the size desired. I purchased 1.5 yards of each since I was making it for a baby/toddler)
- Scissors or rotary blade with cutting mat
- Ruler
- Large area to lay out fleece
- Time & patience
- Start out by cutting off the selvedge of your fleece.
![]() |
| Look what I found - the anatomy of fabric |
- Lay fleece wrong sides together & square up. It's much easier to use a rotary blade & cutting mat on this step. (Click here for helps on squaring fabric.)
- At each corner cut out a square. I cut out 4x4 inch squares since I wanted 4" ties. Just remember that whatever length you are making your ties, you have to cut out that same size square. Ie. 5" ties = 5x5 inch squares.
![]() |
| The black squares represent the area you will cut out. |
- Using your ruler, cut ties 1 - 1.5" in width by whatever length you have decided on, for me it was 4". Depending on how particular you are you can use your thumb to gauge the width of the strips as well. Continue along all 4 sides of the fleece, cutting both layers at the same time.
| After cutting all my strips I started tying the two pieces together. |
- Next thing will be to tie the two pieces together. There are many ways you can do this. I chose to do a double knot. Whatever you choose just make sure you pull it tight. You do not want to have to retie these after washing & likewise if your giving this as a gift, your recipient will not enjoy it either. Yes, I speak from experience.
- There is also a knotting method, which I will be doing soon. I have 2 blankets to make for the boys to take to school for nap time. I will post some pictures of that method later.
| lots of ties |
| keep tying |
- The next step is one that often is skipped or people don't know about. I've never read anything about it on any of the other tutorials that I've seen but at Steve's cousin's baby shower they had the guests help tie 2 baby blankets as part of their gift. They asked us do something that seemed very odd at the time but very necessary in the end. I'm not sure what it does except stretch out the blanket again but it may also set those ties. Anyway you take opposite corners & stretch out the fabric. You will hear snapping, popping & maybe even some ripping noises but I assure you that's normal. It's best if you can find 3 other people to help you pull but if not do your best.
![]() |
| Pull in the direction of the arrows. If only one person pull opposite corners ( pull top left - left while pulling top right - right, & so on around the blanket) |
- Finished. Wasn't that easy?




No comments:
Post a Comment