"My love for you is a journey. Starting at forever and ending at never." ~ Anonymous

Monday, November 19, 2012

Four Fingers & a Thumb


5 
That is the number you are today.

You were the miracle that we dreamed, hoped & wished for.
Today I share your story.

After months of doctor appointments, ultrasounds, peeing in a vile, & blood work it was time for you to enter this world.  Your due date was November 15th, 2007 but since you were cozy in my belly you decided to stay over a few extra nights.  It was determined by the Dr that I would be induced on Sunday, the evening of November 18th, with hopes of a baby within 24 hours.  

On Saturday Nov 17th your Daddy & I stood in the kitchen discussing names.  We had yet to pick out a boy name but knew if you were to be a girl we would call you Katherine Rose'.  See we had opted I told your daddy that we were not going to find out if you were a boy or a girl.  I wanted it to be a surprise.  Besides it didn't matter, we just wanted a healthy baby.  10 fingers, 10 toes.  We couldn't help but to feel anxious, happy and even a little scared.  How would our lives change?  Would we be good parents?  Would there be complications?  And so many more thoughts ran through our heads. 

Sunday evening came & we headed to the hospital.  The nurse didn't believe that I was 9 months pregnant.  I guess you were hiding in there pretty good.  I was told to put on a stylish gown and lay down so that they could start the process.  Since most inductions take quite some time & the nurse said it will probably be a while, Daddy decided to go home to get some sleep but would be back first thing in the morning.  Funny thing was - he barely made it home & had to come back because I started to have signs of labor.  It was short lived but you got your Daddy to come back, which I appreciated.

As the night went along things would happen here & there.  I was able to get an epidural around 2 a.m. I think & my water broke around 5:30 a.m.  It was somewhere late morning when the nurses said it was time to push.  I pushed and pushed and pushed and pushed but you weren't coming out.  Daddy said it was 3 hours of trying before the Dr said I needed to stop & go ahead with a c-section.  I was upset.  I didn't want to have surgery but if it meant that you would be safe then I was OK with it.
After what seemed like forever they wheeled me back to the OR & got me set up for surgery.  Daddy came in, looking snazzy wearing this blue getup.  It was going to be a matter of moments before we met you.  Once they started it was merely minutes before the Dr held you up & said "It's a boy!"  We were so happy.  Tears of joy filled our hearts, so full that they ran down our cheeks.  We were overjoyed.
You were so tiny.  6 lbs 11 oz, 19 inches long.  Born at 3:37 p.m.

Bartholomew Gilbert
 Daddy was able to follow you out & see you get your first bath, while I was held up in recovery.  Daddy made phone calls announcing your arrival.  I was finally able to hold you several hours after your birth.
I was in love.  


We had decided to name you Bartholomew, with no middle name yet chosen.  Daddy told me that I could choose your middle name.  I thought long & hard.  I had thought about naming you Stephen after my best friend (& daddy's boss) that was killed 2 months earlier in a motorcycle accident but since that name seemed to bring sadness to my heart I decided against that.  I decided to name you Gilbert after my Grandpa Seboldt.  Grandpa Seboldt was a great man & was taken from this earth entirely too early but I knew had he ever met you, he'd have loved you to the moon & back.

We came home on Thanksgiving & had our first meal at home as a family.  It was perfect.  You were perfect.  We were perfect.
 
We've watched you grow over the past 5 years.  
You are so smart.  You are so lovable.  You are so darn cute! 
Forever in my heart you always will be.
 Love you all my life, always & forever my little Bartholomew Gilbert.  

 

















Happy 5th Birthday Bart!

Love, 
Mommy, Daddy & Tad


1 comment:

  1. tears! i love this. awwww. happy 5th birthday buddy!! you are too cute!! many many more!!

    ReplyDelete