What's more precious than a little girl playing dress up?
Um, how about a little boy?!
I know, I know, I'm a cruel mom but I didn't do it. He did this on his own.
Well I've found a very fun little project that just about anyone should be able to do.
Today's tutorial is:
Tulle Tutus
Supplies:
- Tulleing (amount depends on length & size)**
- Scissors or cutting mat with rotary blade
- ruler
- Elastic (recommended to use non-roll 1/2" to 1")
- sewing machine or thread & needle
- Ribbon (optional)
**I highly recommend that you buy the 6" rolls vs by the bolt. Trust me you will LOVE me later.
The instructions that I found said that you will need 8 yards of tulleing for an newborn/infant sized tutu.
Since my very first tutu was for a newborn, I purchased 3 yards each of white, green & blue tulleing (by the yard of course).
**I later purchased 1 yard of yellow tulle since the lady I was making it for requested that I switch out the white for yellow.
It wasn't until I was finished this one I figured out that they probably meant 8 yards of the 6" tulleing.
Anywho on to instructions.
Instructions:
From here on out I will be referring to the tutu that I made which was for a newborn/toddler.
The length of the tutu I wanted was 7-8" long.

Done. Easy as pie!
Enjoy!!
**I later purchased 1 yard of yellow tulle since the lady I was making it for requested that I switch out the white for yellow.
It wasn't until I was finished this one I figured out that they probably meant 8 yards of the 6" tulleing.
Anywho on to instructions.
Instructions:
From here on out I will be referring to the tutu that I made which was for a newborn/toddler.
The length of the tutu I wanted was 7-8" long.
- Cut the tulleing into 6" x 16" strips. (Depending on the desired length, double it & add 1 inch. Ie. desired length 7.5" = 7.5 x 2 + 1 = 16")
- Measure your child's waist, subtract 1", cut elastic to that measurement & sew ends together overlapping about 1". Since I didn't have a child to measure I used 14" of elastic per the instructions I had, but after seeing my 3 year old put this on I realized that 14" for a newborn is too big.
- Take elastic & put it around something round. Some people use paper towels, I just used my leg.
- Time to start tying on the tulle. Start by folding the tulle in half longwise, place under the elastic, pull tulle though loop & pull tight. Yes, yes, I will add a picture to demonstrate this. Or go here to see some really good pics.
- Keep tying until the elastic is completely covered.
- You can stop here or you can ribbon wrap the waist & add a bow.
Done. Easy as pie!
Enjoy!!


stella would totally model this for you!!
ReplyDeleteOh don't you worry - I ordered the purple tulleing yesterday & as soon as I get it done it's all hers. :) Just take a pic for me, k?
Delete