"My love for you is a journey. Starting at forever and ending at never." ~ Anonymous

Thursday, December 13, 2012

To Celebrate or Not

Do you ever feel like this?
I do.

I know you are wondering why & lucky you, I'm gonna tell you.

A little back story first.

My sister-in-law (SIL) is going to be having a baby in March & I thought it would be nice to throw her a "sprinkle" shower.  Since this is not their first child (my niece will be 10 this summer) & they know they are having a boy this time.  I first contacted her cousin (& another close friend of hers) to see if they would be interested in helping me throw such an event.  I also talked to the mother-in-law as well & she thought it was a nice thought & that it would be ok for us to do such a thing.  I asked her cousin to talk to her mom to find out her thoughts & we would go from there.

Now on to my issue.

So I get this text yesterday from her cousin & it basically says that SILs mom doesn't think it's necessary for us to throw her a shower.  Her reasons: she has stuff from my niece & someone at work gave her like 3 totes of clothes.  

I have 2 problems with this.  
1.  This baby is a BOY not a girl
2. Stuff expires/changes in 10 years (yes I know, really?!)

It's not like I was going to throw her a full blown shower & ask people to buy her the big expensive stuff or have her register or anything.  It was just supposed to be a nice way to celebrate the birth of the new baby.  The invitations would clearly state that this was a sprinkle.

SILs mom did say however IF we wanted to do something, a diaper party would be OK.  My issue with that: brother-in-law (BIL) is on the local fire department & I was told they are going to be doing that for them.  Now I'm not saying that they would get too many diapers (Lord knows you can never have too many of them), but it defeats the purpose of a nice little sprinkle.

I think I'm going to do it my way & if her family doesn't want to participate then fine.  They won't be invited.  AND when she asks where her family is, I'll tell her, "Well 'SIL', your MOM didn't think this was necessary".  Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

So WWYD?

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks. Of course I was told that some of Paul's family won't come b/c they didn't send out thank you's after other events (wedding/baby). Oh well, whatever. Do you & your sisters want to come? Wait, you are the only one local..... :)

      Delete
  2. I would throw it not matter what. Baby seats, swings and such are not supposed to be used after 5 years so there is enough reason. And like you said it is going to be a boy so all more reason so throw one for her. I know the rule in my family is 6 years. If your babies are 5-6 years apart it is ok to throw another shower, whether it be a full blown shower or a sprinkle. I would invite the her family but make it thrown by you and who ever else wants to help. Happy shower planning :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I think sometimes that these old time Germans just don't get it. Thank goodness I only have one of these to plan, right?! LOL I kid, I kid....

      Delete
    2. Oh you better get with my mother.. apparently she is already started planning. UGH! I told her no Italian food this time... I hate Italian! I am sure mine is way off... afterall I am not due until the end of June.

      Delete