Saturday I went with my friend Jessie to help her mom cater at a retreat. We had decided that we would drive up the morning of and return later that night. We left my house at 4:30 a.m. On the way we came across a guy that had flipped his car into a pond. Luckily he didn't see hurt and another gentleman had already called 911. Jess gave the young man her gloves because he was dripping wet and freezing (it was in the 20's -30's here). I had nothing else to offer him and since there was another person with him, we decided to continue on our way. About 2 miles up the road we met a police car so we knew everything would be a-OK. I realized then that I really need to get an emergency kit in my car.
10 things that should always be in your car:
- basic tools & an easy to follow automobile fix it guide
- food - non perishable
- water - switch out supply periodically
- clothing - warm and waterproof
- flashlight - remember extra batteries
- jumper cables
- first aid kit
- blanket
- lighter
- tow rope
We helped prep breakfast for the next morning and then gathered our goodies to head home around 9:30 p.m. I had only checked my phone 1x that day and when I checked it before we left there was a message from my hubby, Steve. I was a bit worried because he usually doesn't bother me throughout the day (especially when he knows I'm going to be super busy). I called him back and he proceeded to tell me that my oldest son, Bart, was in the ER because he had gotten a hold of a piece of candy that had peanut butter in it at a family Christmas party that they attended earlier in the evening. We have known since Bart was 10 months old that he's allergic to peanuts. He wanted me to come there as soon as a could.I knew it wasn't wise for me to try to take Jess back to our house to get her car so she could go home and then drive over to the hospital since I had gotten up at 3:50 a.m. Saturday morning and the hospital was going to keep him till at least 1 a.m. Sunday morning. Jess suggested that we just head straight to the hospital and she would drive my car back to my house and then head home. That way I could be at the hospital with Bart but not be responsible to drive home later. Thank goodness for good friends! We did precisely that and I am very grateful for her understanding and suggestion!
Bart was released at 2 a.m. on Sunday morning. We drove straight home and went to bed. I'm sure Bart was on cloud 9 because we let him sleep with us. I'm very proud of Steve for taking such good care of him. I know how stressful this situation is. I had the same thing happen to me when Bart was 9 months old. I know what you are thinking and no I didn't give my 9 month old a piece of candy. We had given him some chex cereal out of a chex mix (that had peanuts in it) and he had a reaction hours later. The hospital nurses and doctors were very sweet and did a wonderful job. I'm also thankful for my mother and father in law. They came up to the hospital and took our youngest son, Tad and our van back home and left their vehicle for us to drive home. They also cleaned up the vomit in the van for us. I cannot express how thankful I am that they did that. That is one thing I did not want to have to do. Tad spent the night there and was returned home on Sunday around 11:30 a.m.
Sunday was pretty uneventful, thank goodness. I took the boys to Joann's fabrics to buy some flannel fabric to make some stork bundle blankets, Walmart to get the rest of the supplies and then to my parents house to work on the bundles. My brother, Tim, and his future wife, Christi, were there working on a blanket for a friend that just had a baby on Saturday. We ate supper there, my dad gave the boys a bath for me and we headed home around 9:30. I slept in this morning (7:30 a.m.) since I'm off work. I really needed the sleep and decided that I would do my work out when the boys take there nap this afternoon. Of course a nap sounds pretty good too! :)


No comments:
Post a Comment