"My love for you is a journey. Starting at forever and ending at never." ~ Anonymous

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Buyer Beware!


So last week I had to go grocery shopping after work.  I usually shop at Schnucks, Walmart and Walgreens.  I have learned that as long as you buy on sale at Schnucks, you make out ok.  In addition to sale items, we usually buy fresh produce and meat there as well.  My list consisted of mainly fresh fruits and veggies last week so most of my shopping was going to be done there.

So as I'm filling up my cart, I'm also making a note of the prices.  I found some pink lady apples on sale for $1.99/lb, which is a pretty good price for these apples.  We had been getting pink crisps (which are super delicious) but they are $3.99/lb so I figured I'd switch it up due to the sale.  I proceed to get the rest of my groceries (minus a few things that I knew I could get at Walmart for a much cheaper price) and headed to check out.

At check out I'm trying to watch as things get scanned to make sure the proper prices are being charged.  The checker was so fast it was hard to keep up.  As she goes along I'm pretty sure that she charged me wrong on the apples.  So I ask her to tell me what they scanned in at.  She looks at me with that "look" and tells me to look over at my screen (she backed it up for me).  The screen says 2 lbs for $5.  I tell her that is not what they were advertised for and she proceeds to rescan them.  They keep ringing up at the $5 price.  So I tell her to please check on the price because I'm fairly confident that they were $1.99/lb.  She finally checks and sure enough, I was right. $1.99/lb.


I saved over a $1 on my apples just because I was diligent in checking the pricing.  Now imagine how many customers that paid the higher price.  What a great deal for Schnucks, right?  I know the two gentlemen behind me probably didn't think much of my persistence but I didn't care.

So I urge you, when you go shopping, keep track of what your being charged.  I think you'll find that you do get over charged more than you think.  And remember you have the right to get the advertised price!


2 comments:

  1. I absolutely check EVERY THING! People behind me get annoyed I think, but who cares! I wish that the checkers would slow down just a little bit....that would help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you Angie! I think if more people paid attention to their purchases they would be surprised at how often it does happen. I try to go when it isn't super busy (and sans kids if I can) so that I can watch and not piss off too many people.

    ReplyDelete