"My love for you is a journey. Starting at forever and ending at never." ~ Anonymous

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Out With The Old...

I'm in mourning.

The time has come for us I've been forced to trade our truck & sell my little car.

My first brand new car - 2001 Chevy Cavalier

I bought "Lou" in February 2001, when I was going to college at SIUE.  I needed a dependable car & she got me there safe and sound.  Over the years she's traveled to several different states when Steve was working for Ameritank.  

Once the boys were born we toyed around with the idea of trading her off.  When we were in a position to trade, she broke down & the dealership only offered us $100 for her.  Um, really?  I don't think so!  So we hung on to her, found her problem & fixed her.  For less than a couple hundred bucks she was up & running again!  

Recently she's developed a loud hum.  Steve was sure it was the transmission going out in her.  I don't know much about cars & figured since he's a guy he knows.  Ha ha ha on me - Never again...  So I asked where I could salvage her at.  Some FB friends gave me the name of a guy that works on/buys cavaliers.  It happened to be a guy I used to run around & drink with, when I was younger.  So I called him up & he stopped by on Sunday to check Lou out.  After a short test drive he diagnosed the hum as a wheel bearing issue.  If only this diagnosis had come in before Saturday, when Steve decided to purchase a different car & transfer Lou's plates.

Here is the replacement - 2006 Chevy Monte Carlo

After a bit of discussion we decided to sell her.  If we wanted to keep her we would have to get new plates & let's face it she is "LOU".  She was/is a great car (even with her 203k miles, dull paint & a bit of rust) & I will miss her.  But all good things must come to an end & I know Jason will take good care of her.  He's promised me visitation rights too, which makes me laugh.  I hope she is as good for him as she's been for us.

As far as buying cars - I hate it!  Steve & I do not agree on anything.  We have 2 different tastes I guess & neither one of us wants to budge.  He really wanted a mustang - I wanted a 4 door that has 30+ mpg - preferable white.  (Yes, I'm obsessed with white cars.)  It was a long, stressful week (trust me my face shows it - I'm breaking out like a 16 year old girl).  Anytime cars were brought up we argued.  I didn't even want to go home most nights because I knew it was going to be nothing but fighting.  I'm sure we scarred the kids for life. (bwahaha)

We tried the whole craigslist thing (for a week, mind you) to sell our truck but we only got phone calls from weirdos or companies that said they could sell your car for you (thank you for abiding to the no contact for commercial solitation - insert eyeroll).  We lost several thousand dollars on our truck by trading her in.  I blame the economy - Since gas prices are over $4 per gallon we can not afford to drive the truck 50+ miles a day at 13 mpg.  I'm sure the truck will go to someone that will use her as she was intended - to pull/haul things.

2003 - Chevy Silverado 2500HD 2WD

I will miss you white truck!  Read my blog from last week on how I feel about her.  You brought my babies home from the hospital, hauled many-o-things & provided us with the best seats for fireworks.  May you find a righteous owner that treats you well.

There - I'm done!  No more complaining about this.  It's over, I'm done.  I hope the new car makes you very happy Honey, & runs perfectly because the next one won't go down like this!  

Or one of us won't be alive. LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment