"My love for you is a journey. Starting at forever and ending at never." ~ Anonymous

Friday, September 7, 2012

Remembering my Best Friend.

As I was making my morning road trip today I kept thinking about my friend Steve.

A little background on Steve...
Steve was my Steve's boss at Ameritank.
(Confusing, right?!?)
When I first met him I didn't care much for him.
But as time went on, I got to know him & realized how much fun he was.
My Steve & I spent a lot of time hanging out with him.
He was the one that I spent most of my weeknights & weekends with when my Steve was working at the radio station.
He was the one that I knew I could say anything to & not worry about him judging me.
He was the one that insisted that my Steve to go to the hospital to be with me when I miscarried our first baby at 10 weeks even when I told him not to come.
He truly was my best friend.

5 years ago on September 1st he was killed in a motorcycle accident.

Weekend Wrap-Up - September 2, 2007
Motorcycle Driver Killed Following Collision With Minivan
Stephen Young, 37, was pronounced dead at the scene Saturday following an accident involving a Harley Davidson motorcycle and a minivan. Young was driving the motorcycle with a passenger when they apparently lost control at the intersection of HH Road and Deer Hill Road in rural Waterloo. Young was thrown from the bike and slammed into the front of an oncoming minivan driven by Roger Maus of D Road. Young’s body landed in a nearby ditch. The female passenger, whose name has not yet been released, rolled on the road and received minor injuries. Maus was not injured. Monroe County Ambulance Service personnel worked for several minutes to revive Young, but the injuries proved too severe. Young lived on Schrader Drive in rural New Hanover.
- Taken from Monroe County Independent 

I'll never forget the conversation I had with him over the bike.  He had told me he bought a motorcycle & I was pissed.  I told him he had no business having one.  I begged him to be careful & he said he promised he would.  
That was the Wednesday before the accident.
We had talked about a bunch of us going out of town for the holiday weekend but I didn't want to take off any days because I wanted to save all my days to be off with the baby in November.  They (meaning him & his current girlfriend) decided not to go either.  So many times I wished we had....

I think of him often & miss all the good times we had & all the good times that would have been.
I'll never forget the time I told him that Steve & I were going to have a baby (after 2.5 long years of trying & multiple months of fertility drugs).
He was SO excited.
He jumped up & hugged me & almost had tears in his eyes.
He so badly wanted us to find out if it was a boy or a girl.
He was hoping we would have a boy.  (he has 2 beautiful girls)
Of course we told him he would have to wait because we weren't finding out.
Thing is - he never found out.
Bart was born the November after his death.
He would have been so excited!  I know it.

So as I was making my way to Waterloo I noticed that the car in front of me had license plates "Young".  I also noticed shortly thereafter that the truck behind me was a red extended cab Chevy Silverado 2500 diesel - the exact same truck that he drove.  It's days like this that I really miss my friend.  What I wouldn't do to see him again, introduce him to my two healthy boys & have a nice ice cold Miller Lite (or six) with him.

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment