Not only were my boys not cooperating, they also brought up a pretty serious topic.
As we were eating breakfast Tad puts a pair of sunglasses up to his face & pretends it's a gun. He looks right at me & says "I'm gonna shoot you". I lost it.
I grabbed those glasses & began to cry.
Bart looks at me & starts to say something about the news last night & the guy that shot people....
I knew that this was time to discuss what happened. First I proceeded to tell Tad that guns are not for shooting people. That they are for hunting animals for food, like Papa, Uncle Matt & Uncle Tim do.
I grabbed those glasses & began to cry.
Bart looks at me & starts to say something about the news last night & the guy that shot people....
I knew that this was time to discuss what happened. First I proceeded to tell Tad that guns are not for shooting people. That they are for hunting animals for food, like Papa, Uncle Matt & Uncle Tim do.
Then I addressed the news comment. I told them that sometimes bad people do things to hurt others & while we may not understand why, there isn't much we can do to prevent it. Just to know that mommy, daddy, grandma, grandpa, teachers & a lot of other people love them & will do anything they can to keep them safe. But if that for some reason we would be killed, know that we love them & someone will take care of them, whether it be grandma or papa or an aunt or uncle. If something would happen to them, that we would be very very sad but know that God would take care of them. Then Tad says "Jesus died on the cross for us". I was so proud of him. I told them that have no plans of leaving this world anytime soon, but God may have other ideas & sometimes we just need to trust in him.
If that wasn't enough the topic of natural disasters got brought up. Oh geez. So now we are back on the subject of death & how they are scared to die or for me or Steve to die. As I try to explain to them how most of the time we have plenty of fore warning on mother nature induced disasters, sometimes bad things do happen. So we talked about hurricanes & tornadoes. I never really talked to them about those things.
I was able to tell them about how we helped some children that lost their homes by donating to a good friend of mine in Baltimore. Her little girl, whom the boys meet when Tad was just a baby, decided she wanted to to a toy drive to benefit those effected by Sandy. When I started telling them about what she was doing the first words out of Bart's mouth was "I want to help her get toys for the kids too!". I told him that I had in fact donated some money to the cause & that he had helped. He was happy that I did that.
He seemed to be content with what I told him when it comes to dealing with a natural disaster, although he is still afraid to die.
So am I buddy, so am I.
I was able to tell them about how we helped some children that lost their homes by donating to a good friend of mine in Baltimore. Her little girl, whom the boys meet when Tad was just a baby, decided she wanted to to a toy drive to benefit those effected by Sandy. When I started telling them about what she was doing the first words out of Bart's mouth was "I want to help her get toys for the kids too!". I told him that I had in fact donated some money to the cause & that he had helped. He was happy that I did that.
He seemed to be content with what I told him when it comes to dealing with a natural disaster, although he is still afraid to die.
So am I buddy, so am I.
I think the school shooting has changed my parenting. I have & still will get upset with them for being crazy children but I get over it faster. And I make sure I tell them I love them very much & give them kisses & hugs multiple times a day. Not that I didn't before but now it's more constant. I praise them for the good & try to not focus so much on the bad.
I am so blessed to have my children.

No comments:
Post a Comment